Thursday, October 2, 2008

San Luis Internal Med

Hello all this is Jeff. I just wanted to chime in with our current predicament. I am writing from beautiful San Luis, Mexico I mean Arizona. Same difference if you ask me? I am here working the underserved population of Mexico, I mean Arizona again. I am easily confused between the two because as I look out of the office that I am working at I see the border patrol and customs. You see I am smack dab on the border of Arizona and Mexico.

This means that ALL the patients that I have been seeing speak ONLY espanol. Big disadvantage for me, I wish I had paid more attention in my high school Spanish classes. I am working in an Internal Medicine Clinic which means we treat patients with a bunch of comorbidities such as: Obesity, Diabetes, Hypertension, Dislipidemia, Hypothryroidism, and the list goes on. Also all the people that we see are very poor and live pretty rough lives. It helps me realize how good we have it. The worst part about being 200+ away from Mesa is that I have to be away from Chelsi and Talmage. I do get to go home on the weekends for 2 days but it still is hard being away. In closing I have posted a picture of my scenic drive to work each day. It is the beautiful fence that the government built to keep all the dirty Americans in the United States.

6 comments:

Rusty and Tara said...

Man oh man, I bet you are leaning a ton, but it must be way hard to be away from the fam! How long do you have to be in Mexico, oops I mean San Luis?
And Chelsi, I send all my patience over to you (I don't have a lot, but I'll share). That is a HARD job.

Abby said...

You would think that the immigrants you see would have tried to get as far away from the border once they crossed it as they could. I have heard horror stories of the people getting across. I feel for them. The majority of the ones I know are awesome people who work really hard trying to provide for their families...they are healthy as well. Do you think you could sneak a picture of an obese Mexican. I don't think I have ever seen one.

Well anyway, good luck with your placement. How long do you have to travel back and forth?

Michelle Ormond said...

Jeff and Chelsi! I have enjoyed seeing a little of what you guys are living at the moment. I am so proud of both or you and your accomplishments! We did miss you chelsi at our little cheer reunion, but I have some pictures on my web site if you want to see who was there! Maybe one of these years you will be close by and can come! In the meantime I have a lot of empathy for you on the whole marker thing. I have three little boys and I think we have pretty much had a similar experience with all three! I am actually really dilligent about keeping all things permanent up and out of the way, but somehow they always manage to find the one that I missed! They sure keep life interesting!
Keep working hard and good luck with the new baby!
Michelle

FishinFamily said...

Chelsi I LOVE the picture of your cute prego belly. You look so awesome!!

Russ and Megan said...

That really is a beautiful veiw Jeff. Amazing. And Chels--I feel for ya! Russ has been gone every weekend for like 2 months at various things and I hate it. But now I feel I can't complain-at least he's home at nights during the week. :) Hopefully it doesn't last too long. And I just realized you only have about 2 months to go for your new baby girl! So exciting!

Liz said...

Yea, Jeff, we have been there done that...not always, fun, but something you can chalk up to more experience for you both. Adam did some training not too far from there, and we have had a lot of time apart. Separations are definitely not my favorite, but I am sure you guys are taking it in stride. Do you like Internal Med? Chelsi, I agree with "fishinfamily," you look great! I am very excited for you! Love you!