Wednesday, July 30, 2008

TWO YEAR OLD FOR SALE


I have a horrifying tale to tell about a very naughty little boy. Earlier today, I was preparing my relief society talk and Jeff had just fallen asleep after a 9 hour study session when I got off the computer to check on Talmage. I'd heard him shut his bedroom door which he never does on purpose. If it does close he cries until someone comes and lets him out (we have child safety handles so he can't sneak out in the night). So, I heard the door close and waited for the cry, but it never came. This was very suspicious! So I got up to investigate and low and behold, there he was covered from head to toe in permanent black marker! My jaw just dropped as I looked him over and then moved my gaze over the room, which was equally decorated. He'd drawn on his rug, the carpet, his sheet, and his bed. I walked into the kitchen to grab a towel (I didn't know what I was going to do with it exactly) when what should greet me but another black marker covered room! He'd also scribbled on the fridge, stove, dishwasher, linoleum, every cabinet and drawer he could reach, as well as the counter tops! I just yelled at Jeff to come save me. When he came in, Talmage was placed in time out (his longest one yet) and we set to work. We discovered that with a great deal of scrubbing, the powdered cleanser (Ajax in this case) was able to mostly remove the marker from all the hard surfaces. The carpet, rug and sheet however are a lost cause. So, we've turned the rug over and I'm going to go at the carpet later tonight with some scissors and try to trim off as much of the black material as I can without damaging it even more than it already is. The sheet is completely ruined but that's pretty good considering the mess we had started with. I am just grateful that I kept my head as much as I did and didn't strangle, hit, scream at or seriously harm my child in any way. I know it was hard for Jeff to restrain but after a big time out, we put the little culprit in the tub and turned our anger on the stains instead. I guess that's the silver lining in this whole experience!

10 comments:

Annika said...

Oh wow! I think my jaw dropped as well. I can't imagine!! I am proud of you for keeping your cool. I don't know if I could have done it, especially with the permanent marker. Oh the life of a 2 year old.....they are so innocent, aren't they? He still is cute as ever though and congrats on having a girl! I am jealous you already decided a name. I am having such a hard time deciding!

FishinFamily said...

He's an artist/interior decorator...amazing! Good job keeping your cool! Seriously, he did a great job leaving you a trail of where he'd been. :) Good luck with the carpet.

Paul or Lindsay said...

AHHHHH! Oh my goodness! You're better than I am. I think I would have had to leave the house to collect myself. Way to go keeping your cool.

the lunch lady said...

wow! he is so cute, but soooo busy! way to keep your cool, though! hope we see you while you are in UT. Great pictures of his path of destruction -- Someday that will be fun to scrapbook. Maybe not today. But someday. ;)

Lanae said...

congrats on the girl, sorry about the marker. all my little budding artist's work came out with magic eraser...the rug might be toast! check out my post about the nail polish and you'll never let Jeffey come over again. again so fun about the girl...im a little jealous

Russ and Megan said...

Yikes! Will you get the boy some paper already?! :)LOL He obviously has some artistic talent he wants to share. :) I am totally sure I would not have been able to stay calm. It looks like he would have been drawing for hours with the number of places he hit...but we all know how fast little hands (and their brains for that matter) work! :) Glad you were able to get so much of it cleaned off!

Natalie said...

I'm so glad that we got to hang out this weekend and get to know each other better. I can't wait for you guys to move back so we can do it more often! So, here is the link to that house I was telling you about: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=475&ad=3872574&cat=279&lpid=1
We just need to get our townhouse sold, and then we can get serious about it! What was that website that you were telling me about where you can look at houses?

Josh said...

I never saw a price, how much are you selling Talmage for, anyway?

Russ and Suz Adamson said...

Wow! that leaves me speechless. You guys are pretty patient. I know that crap would have hit the fan if I saw that! Congrats on having a girl. Love the name.

Liz said...

I know this is kind of an old post now, but Chelsi, Oh. My. Gosh! I am not quite sure how I would do with it being permanent. Although Sam did once tip over an entire can of primer all over our rented house's living room carpet. And he is still alive. Oh the joys of parenthood! Good job!